3 Ways to Use 30% Less Sanitizer
Sanitizers are in higher demand than ever before, but diligent hygiene, and some simple changes to your routine can reduce sanitizer consumption by up to 30%
BORATES BALANCE BETTER
A change in pH of 1.0 can change the sanitizing efficiency of chlorine by 40%!
Maintaining water balance factors in their correct ranges can greatly contribute to higher chlorine efficiency and improve the overall quality of pool water.
Maintain water balance factors for ideal pool water:
- pH 7.2 - 7.6
- Total Alkalinity 80 - 120 ppm
- Calcium Hardness 200 - 400 ppm
- Borates 30 - 50 ppm
Want to really make sure your water balance is correct? Plug your numbers in our LSI calculator. If your results are between -0.3 and +0.3, your water is considered balanced.
If you're not using Borates yet, learn more HERE.
Borates can not only keep your pool water in balance, they can prevent or slow scaling (including salt cell generator scaling), prevent staining, reduce skin and eye irritation, keep equipment cleaner, and add sparkle and softness to the water. Borates are only lost through splash-out or during backwash, so a once-per-season addition may be all you'll need.
Click the video to learn more about borates.
CIRCULATE FILTRATE CLEANATEDownload the '3 Ways' Poster
Circulation, filtration and regular cleaning keeps organics from building up on surfaces and in the water.
- Circulation prevents 'dead spots' where algae can grow uninhibited. Circulation moves water through the filter, heater, erosion feeder, or anything else designed to enhance water quality. Circulation also mixes chemical additions and helps water maintain an even temperature.
- Filtration pulls particulates from the water, whether organic or inorganic. Sand filters are the most common style - offering economy, ease of use, and relative quality of removal. Cartridge filters remove smaller particulates and waste less water than sand filters that require a more frequent backwashing. Diatomaceous Earth (D.E.) filters remove the smallest-size particulates of available residential options.
Particle removal by filter type
- 25 Microns - Sand Filters
- 15 Microns - Cartridge Filters
4 Microns - D.E. Filters
- 70 Microns - Human Hair
- 8 Microns - Red Blood Cells
- Removing debris from skimmer and filter baskets.
An automatic pool cleaner (APC) is an amazing way to keep your pool looking great. It is not a substitute for routine cleaning, but they can be invaluable assets to proper water care.
Don't forget to clean your filter media via backwash or chemical cleaning as needed. Physically remove any non-attached items like stairs when cleaning to prevent trapped algae growth.
REMOVING THE YUCK
Chlorine exists in your pool water in two forms: Free and Combined